Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Guess what!?

So I've learned that I can't start conversations with the words, "Guess what?" anymore.

We had our last Appellate Advocacy class last night, and they revealed the final rankings for the competition.  I was surprised and really pleased to find out that I ranked ninth.  And it's a class of 77, which means that I did better in the four weeks of competition than 68 of my peers did, even dealing with everything else I'm dealing with.  It was very exciting!  They called my name, I walked down to the front, they gave me a certificate, the President of the Moot Court Board shook my hand (which was pretty funny because he's actually a friend of mine and I'm not used to being so formal with him), and then I went back to my seat all proud and pleased with myself.  In my excitement I fired off a Facebook chat "Guess what?" to friends and family members that I had talked about the competition with and who had indicated that they wanted to know the results when I found out.

Freaking all of them were like, "ARE YOU PREGNANT!?"

Ugh.  As if I would tell them via Facebook chat if I were.  I mean, really?  And who starts a life-changing conversation like that with "guess what"?  Also most of them know or should know that I only just had my period a couple weeks ago.  So.  Get it together, friends and family.

But it really brought me down.  I went from really happy to ready to cry in like two seconds, and this time it wasn't the Clomid's fault.  Because not only was it really crushing to be reminded of my infertility when I had managed to think about something else for a full two minutes, but also it was really awkward to then be like, "No... still pretty barren down there.  I actually just wanted to tell you that I did pretty well in this class I'm taking...  You know what?  Never mind.  Sorry for the false alarm.  My news sucks."

So... lesson learned.  I'm never going to ask anyone to guess anything about my life ever again.  Not ever.

On the plus side, if I ever do get pregnant, at least I now know that it will not be difficult to segue into the announcement at all.

16 comments:

  1. Whoa there! You had a major accomplishment today, celebrate it!
    I can understand why they immediately jumped to pregnancy, no matter what you accomplish in life, people want to know about pregnancy/baby.

    Well done on the award, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was(/am) really proud to receive it. I just somehow don't feel quite as excited about it now as I did at first. :/

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the award! 9th out of 68th is awesome!

    I'm sorry your friends and family got you down. You'd think people would know better, but I think JCH4DCU is right that people want to know about pregnancies. I've been in similar situations before and it can definitely take the fun out of things and remind you about what you don't have. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA. Aww. I've been there. That is always what ppl ask when I say Guess what? .. or like call them out of the blue, or seem really happy. Like fuck off ppl. But CONGRATULATIONS on succeeding at yet ANOTHER thing!! 'Cause you're a boss ass bitch! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate this comment especially because of the song you sent me to listen to alongside it. Said song will now get stuck in my head every time I read this post. Not a bad problem to have.

      Delete
  4. Here from Stirrup Queen's round-up. Congrats! I'm an infertile appellate lawyer and I'm way more impressed by your advocacy class accomplishment ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cool! It's awesome that you're reading my blog. The fact that you're an appellate lawyer and that you complimented me makes me feel all accomplished again. I sincerely thank you for that.

      Delete
  5. Here from the round up. I have totally been there, and it blows. Your accomplishment is huge! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really didn't expect this much affirmation. You guys are great.

      Delete
  6. Beating out 68 of your peers in your Appellate Advocacy class competition is a REAL accomplishment! (And I have been a practicing attorney for 10 years, so I know the significance of this.)

    Getting pregnant, on the other hand, is something any idiot can do with little-to-no effort. . . and many do. (I've often wondered why people--myself included--consider getting pregnant an "accomplishment," when it's mostly outside our control.)

    Don't let people's comments bring you down. You should feel proud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It is a little funny how it can get twisted. I just wish sometimes that I could BE that idiot who gets pregnant with little-to-no effort. But I really appreciate your affirmation, especially coming from a practicing attorney. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. I have no idea what Appellate Advocacy is but I think you should go out and buy yourself a ring, always to remind yourself of your achievement. And unlike getting pregnant, it shows that hard work does pay off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't buy a ring, but I did put the certificate up over my desk. I felt a little silly doing it, but it's something I'm proud of and it makes me happy to see it.

      Delete
  8. Congrats! That's so cool! I totally had to laugh at this, because it's so true! I feel ya. I never again will say, "Ugh, I feel nauseous," because everyone in the vicinity always gasps, "Maybe you're pregnant!" Facepalm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For real! I can't say any of the pregnancy symptoms! Even though PCOS gives me ALL THE PREGNANCY SYMPTOMS. Oy. People need to calm it down.

      Delete

IComLeavWe
IComLeavWe: Join the Conversation